- The government has announced that, at the National Portrait Gallery, David Ross has been reappointed as Chair, while Inaya Folarin Iman and Simon Sebag Montefiore have been appointed as Trustees.
- The Manchester Museum has appointed Dr Njabulo Chipangura as its new Curator of Living Cultures. It reports Dr Chipangura will be responsible for the care of over 20,000 objects from Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas, as well as building new research and forming relationships and collaborations.
Exhibitions and displays
- Bailiffgate Museum and Gallery welcomes back international artist Jose Snook with her new exhibition. In Memoriam is an exhibition of Jose’s new work, made in response to the current environmental crisis and the mass extinction of animal and plant species. Opening 12th October.
- The National Museum of Scotland has announced exhibitions through to November 2021, which include The Typewriter Revolution, Inspiring Walter Scott, Scotland’s Climate Challenge.
- The Cartoon Museum is to unveil a special exhibition to celebrate Black History Month, exploring the story and world of BLACK – a graphic memoir by Tobias Taitt and Anthony Smith. 14 October – 08 January 2021.
- Kehinde Wiley’s Portrait of Melissa Thompson is to go on display at the V&A alongside original William Morris designs that inspired it. The portrait will be on display in the William Morris Room (125) in the V&A South Kensington’s British Galleries until 2024, when it will move to its permanent home at V&A East Museum in 2025.
- A permanent museum display dedicated to Coastal Forces, a division of the Royal Navy is to open at the Explosion Museum of Naval Firepower in Gosport. 9th October 2021.
- Bradford’s National Science and Media Museum has announced it has secured National Lottery funding to begin development of its ‘Sound and Vision project’, which it says it will provider wider access for young people to new collections of photography, radio, film, TV, sound and digital technologies.
- Art Fund, the national charity for art, has announced that it has awarded £658,331 in the first round of £2 million Reimagine grants for 2021. The support will go to 22 UK museums, galleries, historic houses, trusts and professional networks.
- Conservation specialist DBR is carrying out essential repairs on national landmark Elizabeth Tower, better known as Big Ben.
- The National Science and Media Museum’s Bradford Science Festival is returning this October half term with events and activities at the National Science and Media Museum and partner venues across the city. 23 – 31 October 2021.
- At the London Transport Museum are half-term STEM inspired activities and a chance to meet real-world engineer as part of the museum’s Climate Crossroads programme. 23 – 31 October 2021.
- The Eden Project is to host a mass Sleepout, raising funds for two South West charities, St Petrocs and The Amber Foundation, supporting people being forced into homelessness. November 25th 2021.
- Ahead of the UN Climate Change Conference (COP26), Tate Modern will stage Power to Change, a weekend of free events, installations, and workshops, to encourage the public to take positive action in response to the climate emergency. 29 – 31 October 2021.
To have your news featured in our new weekly news round-up, please email [email protected].