- Labour leader Keir Starmer has announced Lucy Powell as new Shadow Secretary of State for the Department of Culture Media & Sport (DCMS) as part of his recent cabinet reshuffle.
- Sir Peter Hendy CBE, Chair of Network Rail, has been appointed Chair of the National Railway Museum’s Advisory Board, where he is hoped to spearhead delivery of the Museum’s Vision 2025 masterplan.
- The DCMS has announced Priyanka Wadhawan and Lord Jonathan Marland as the latest appointments to the British Museum’s Board of Trustees.
Amazon director and former Tory minister appointed Trustees of British Museum
- A new museum has opened at the head office of the British Red Cross in London. Museum of kindness, the first exhibition installed in its new museum, showcases over 150 years of British Red Cross History.
Exhibitions and displays
- Hair: Untold Stories is to open at The Horniman in South London this weekend, featuring objects from the Horniman’s collection alongside artworks and installations. The exhibition will highlight hair’s untold stories,from the meaning and importance of hair, to how we use it both on and off our heads. From 4th December 2021.
- National Museums Liverpool has announced Migrant Artists Mutual Aid (MaMa) as the creatives for the first in a series of pop-up exhibitions planned for the Martin Luther King Jr. 4 March – 5 June 2022.
- “Beethoven’, a new exhibition and programme of events exploring musician’s creative imagination and determination, has opened today at the British Library. 3 December 2021 – 24 April 2022.
- Major sci-fi exhibition ‘Science Fiction: Voyage to the Edge of Imagination’ is set to open next year at the Science Museum, promising a story-led journey through space guided by AI. 6 October 2022 – 4 May 2023.
- A new exhibition featuring portraits of people drawn during lockdown by local artist and art teacher Nathalie Titterton, has opened at North Hertfordshire Museum in Hitchin. ‘My Covid Portraits’ runs until 9 January 2022.
Museums partner on projects to join £38.3m Arts Council England portfolio
- Natural History Museum researcher Sara Motaghian has been awarded the 2021 Institute of Physics Jocelyn Bell Burnell Medal and Prize.
- Aberdeen Art Gallery, designed by Hoskins Architects, has been named by the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS) as the winner of this year’s Andrew Doolan Best Building in Scotland Award.
- The National Science and Media Museum is to host the Yorkshire Games Festival again next year, featuring talks, masterclasses and Q&A events. 12 – 18 February 2022.
Back to top
For more museum news, subscribe to our weekly newsletter: