The Queen’s Galleries at Buckingham Palace and the Palace of Holyroodhouse will become The King’s Galleries, it has been announced.
The name change follows King Charle’s ascension to the throne after the passing of Queen Elizabeth last September.
The two galleries show changing exhibitions of works of art from the Royal Collection, which is promoted through exhibitions, publications, loans and educational programmes by Royal Collection Trust.
Both galleries were opened in their current form by the late Queen as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2002, and have since welcomed approximately five million visitors.
The former Queen’s Galleries, now The King’s Galleries stands on the site of what was once Queen Victoria’s private chapel, which was destroyed in an air raid in 1940.
The gallery at the Palace of Holyroodhouse was built between 1999 and 2002, in the shell of the 19th-century Holyrood Free Church and Duchess of Gordon’s School at the entrance to the Palace of Holyroodhouse.